The National Apartment Association's Stefani Hurst discusses the NAA’s Diversity Leadership Program on our podcast.
“The program has changed my life,” one National Apartment Association member confessed about their experience as a trainee in the association’s Diversity Leadership Program. Since 2020, 15 individuals from underrepresented groups in the rental housing industry are chosen every year to attend a 9-month-long leadership development program that will help them become better leaders. Through multiple virtual education sessions on diversity, equity and inclusion, they learn how to lead themselves, how to lead others and organizations, but also how to lead with NAA.
The Class of 2023 kicked off this year’s program earlier this month, so Multi-Housing News Senior Editor Laura Calugar invited Stefani Hurst, NAA’s manager of member programs, to talk about who the participants are and how exactly these classes are going to contribute to creating a more inclusive workforce going forward.
If you’re interested in participating in the program next year or in becoming a mentor within the program, tune in now for a new episode of NAA Insights, the quarterly podcast series that brings you the latest from the NAA.
Here’s what else you’ll hear about in this episode:
- what is NAA’s Diversity Leadership Program all about? (1:10)
- the selection process (1:46)
- structure of the program (2:52)
- the Class of 2023 (5:28)
- what former participants say about the impact of the program on their careers (8:04)
- the mentors (8:40)
- profile of the ideal candidate (9:25)
- other valuable DEI resources for multifamily companies (10:07)
- the role of DEI for future generations (12:29)
Don’t forget to follow MHN’s podcasts on Apple Podcasts and Spotify!