Curava: An Attractive Surface that is 70 Percent Recycled Glass
A good countertop surface should demonstrate a well-thought-out balance of aesthetics, sustainability and materials construction. A great countertop will excel on all three accounts with no compromises. Curava does not hold back.
Woburn, Mass–A good countertop surface should demonstrate a well-thought-out balance of aesthetics, sustainability and materials construction. A great countertop will excel on all three accounts with no compromises. Curava does not hold back.
The eco-friendly surface product combines recycled glass and clay pottery fragments with a Portland cement base. The result is a line of innovative surfaces that can be used as countertops, fireplace surrounds, outdoor kitchens, bathroom vanities, shower/tub surrounds, tabletops, and furniture.
The use of recycled materials is not a green-washing gimmick. The surface material is approximately 70 percent recycled glass. Out of that figure, 70 percent is post-consumer, coming from sources like beer, wine, water and Thai Red Bull bottles. The other 30 percent comes from post-industrial sources—broken or defective window glass, and broken or defective bottles from the Nivea factory. Certain colors have terracotta pottery fragments, other have seashell fragments. One color even uses tempered glass from windshield and shower stalls.
Curava is durable as well. The material is more heat resistant than both acrylic and quartz. It is more scratch resistant than granite, marble, acrylic and laminate. Curava is easy to clean and less likely to stain than marble and stone. Sheets are available in a 114 inch x 56 inch by 1 ¼ inch size, though custom sizes and colors are available.
Curava can contribute to a project’s LEED points via the following credits: MR 4.1, recycled content 10 percent; MR 4.2, recycled content 20 percent, EQ 4.1, low emitting materials (Curava contains no VOCs); ID, innovation in design (recycled content greater than 30 percent post consumer).