St. Louis-Mo.-based general contracting and construction management firm Tarlton Corp. has completed the $28 million renovation of two historic properties in St. Louis.
The buildings given new life as The Core Apartment Residences formerly housed Shriners Hospital for Children at 700-728 S. Euclid Avenue and Central Institute for the Deaf (CID) at 818 S. Euclid Avenue in St. Louis’ Central West End.
During the historic renovation, Tarlton transformed the buildings into 160 rental apartments ranging from studio units to one- and two-bedroom apartments. Common-area amenity space includes common kitchens and large community room, game room, music practice space, media lounge and fitness center.
Central site for students
The historic renovation required tackling several projects, including restoring the existing masonry facade, window repair or replacement, installation of new mechanicals, plumbing, electrical systems and fire protection, paving and landscaping. The resulting development provides a convenient central site for students on multiple campuses. They are the medical campuses of Washington University and BJC HealthCare and the nearby St. Louis College of Pharmacy. Also served are those working in the Cortex Innovation Community.
“It’s rare that builders have the opportunity to lead the construction management team on the renovation of two separate but adjacent historic buildings that have evolved into an exciting, centrally located residential apartment community,” said Tarlton president Tracy Hart.
The National Register of Historic Places includes listings for both the Shriners and CID buildings, which opened within a half decade of one another. Designed by acclaimed Gateway City architect William B. Ittner, each building features Renaissance Revival style.
Opened in 1924, the three-story Shriners building measures 77,671 square feet and was the largest in a national network of free hospitals created by The Shriners fraternal society to treat children with disabilities. Founded by Dr. Max Aaron Goldstein, CID opened in 1929 with a dual purpose: educating deaf children and training teachers in deaf education. Four stories tall, the CID building totals 51,207 square feet in size.
The Tarlton team included Project Executive Matthew Pfund, Project Director Joe Scarfino, Project Manager Chris Kaintz, Senior Project Engineer Sarah Mangapora, Project Engineer Mack Waggoner and Project Superintendents Jeff Peterson and Steve Moore.
BOBB, LLC was the developer for the project. Lawrence Group was the project architect.