Zuckerman Proposes Conversion of Harrison Flats for Hotel Use; Virginia Properties Trade Hands
- Sep 27, 2011
Zuckerman Brothers Inc. has a new restoration and reuse plan for Harrison Flats, the District’s oldest conventional apartment building. According to DCmud, the 123-year-old property was purchased by Zuckerman Brothers in June 2010 for $8.5 million. The company now intends to convert the building into a 12-story hotel designed by R2L:Architects. The redevelopment plan was filed with the city’s Historic Preservation Review Board.
Located at 704 Third St., N.W., the five-story Harrison Flats was designed as housing by John C. Johnson and Charles E. Gibbs and completed in 1888. In 1889, the federal government leased it to the Census Bureau for executive offices. The building has been vacant for the past eight years, but part of it is currently used as a homeless shelter.
In suburban Washington, Citybizlist reports that the Heritage at Old Town in Alexandria, Va., was sold by New York-based Priderock Capital Partners to AREA Property Partners for $40.9 million. The seller was represented in the transaction by Al Cissel, Scott Melnick and Christine Espenshade of Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. The six-building complex’s 244 housing units have been renovated over the past 18 months.
Citybizlist also reports the sale of John Marshall II, a 223,000-square-foot office building in Tysons Corner, Va. Washington Real Estate Investment Trust acquired the 15-year-old building for $73.5 million. The REIT announced that the site’s anchor tenant, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc., will continue to occupy space in the nine-story building.