Vacant School Building in Pointe Breeze Goes Residential
- Feb 23, 2015
By Veronica Grecu, Associate Editor
The 120-year-old building that for years has been sitting vacant at the corner of 17th and Tasker Streets in Pointe Breeze will be coming back to life as residential and community space.
Last month the Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment approved a redevelopment project that will transform the former George W. Childs Elementary School which left the building in 2010 and moved to a new address at 16th and Wharton Streets.
The Philadelphia Inquirer previously reported that the 72,900-sq.-ft. asset was purchased for $1.2 million by Metal Ventures, Inc. in spring 2014, after the School Reform Commission had approved the sale of seven shuttered schools and a former administrative building to multiple buyers in a transaction totaling $37.8 million.
Metal Ventures’ adaptive reuse project calls for a mixed-use property that will include 73 apartments—10 of which will be offered as affordable housing to individuals earning less than 80 percent of Philadelphia’s Area Median Income, or less than $44,150 per year for an individual. As detailed by PlanPhilly, a studio in the redeveloped building could rent for as much as $1,100 per month, including utilities.
The project will also have a parking garage for 48 cars, one of which will be set aside for a car-sharing service, as well as 11 parking spaces for bikes and a green roof and roof decks. The former school’s auditorium, which encompasses 7,000 square feet of space, will be available to local community groups two nights per week, free of charge.
The three-story, brick-clad structure was built in 1894 by Johnson & Byrens under plans designed by Joseph W. Anschutz, with two additional wings completed 34 years later. The Classic Revival-style building was added to the national Register of Historic Places in 1988.
Image via Google Street View