U of Pittsburgh Wins Bid to Purchase Municipality Site for $1.65M
- Mar 30, 2012
by Adriana Pop, Associate Editor
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh plans to develop a four-story, 60,000-square-foot medical complex in South Fayette Township. According to the Pittsburgh Business Times, the facility will include an urgent care clinic, an imaging center, and other specialized pediatric services.
The South Fayette Township Board of Commissioners named the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospital the highest bidder for the municipality-owned site located along Hickory Run Road. The bid of $1.65 million was accompanied by a donation to the township of $100,000, a contribution that is meant to support the development of the new civic center.
1772 Inc., an affiliate of Langholz Wilson Ellis Inc., submitted an offer of $1.68 million for the 2.6-acre parcel, where it planned to develop a retail center. In addition to its donation, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center guaranteed that half of the new Children’s Hospital building would be taxable, generating $30,000 more in tax revenue over five years than the 1772 Inc. project.
Chris Gessner, president of the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, told the newspaper that the facility will move its operations to South Fayette from Oxford Drive in Bethel Park. The Children’s Express Care clinic will also move to South Fayette, and the Bethel Park site will be turned back to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Gessner added that the new location near the interstate highway was ideal since the medical center’s specialized services would draw patients from a broad area.
According to interim township manager Marshall Bond, $7 million is the estimated cost of the civic center, which is expected to replace the current 11,500-square-foot municipal building. The new center will be developed on a 13-acre site along Miller’s Run Road and will include the township police department and library.