After more than two years of extensive renovations and a $68 million investment, The Queens Museum of Art will reopen on October 11, bringing new technology and expanded exhibition space to accommodate the institution’s growing collection.
Located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in the borough of Queens, the museum is housed in the New York City Building that was originally designed by architect Aymer Embury II to accommodate the New York City Pavilion at the 1939 World’s Fair. During its more than four decades of history, the museum—originally known as the Queens Center for Art and Culture—underwent several renovations led by famous architects such as Daniel Chait and Rafael Viñoly.
In 2011 the Queens Museum of Art and the New York City Department of Design and Construction awarded the renovation project to London-based Grimshaw Architects who worked closely with the engineering firm of Ammann & Whitney to add an additional 50,000 square feet of exhibition, education and office space and eight new artist studios, making the museum twice as large as it used to be.
According to Architectural Record, the highlight of this renovation and expansion effort is the museum’s new entrance which is now accessible from the building’s west façade, facing the Grand Central Parkway, and a new 220-foot long illuminated glass façade and entry plaza, with a sky-lit atrium in between.
Renderings via Grimshaw Architects