MBA Releases 2011 Mid-year Commercial/Multifamily Servicer Rankings
- Aug 25, 2011
Washington, D.C.—The Mortgage Bankers Association (“MBA”) released its mid-year ranking of commercial and multifamily mortgage servicers as of June 30, 2011. The top-ranking firm is Wells Fargo with $442.9 billion in U.S. master and primary servicing. Next is PNC Real Estate/Midland Loan Services with $346.5 billion, Berkadia Commercial Mortgage with $184.2 billion, Bank of America Merrill Lynch with $123.7 billion and KeyBank Real Estate Capital with $107.7 billion.
Specific breakouts in the report include:
- Total U.S. Master and Primary Servicing Volume
- U.S. Commercial Mortgage-backed Securities (CMBS), Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDOs) and other Asset-Backed Securities (ABS) Master and Primary Servicing Volume
- U.S. Commercial Banks and Savings Institution Volume
- U.S. Credit Company, Pension Funds, REITs, and Investment Funds Volume
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Servicing Volume
- Federal Housing Administration (FHA) Servicing Volume
- U.S. Life Company Servicing Volume
- U.S. Warehouse Volume
- U.S. Other Investor Volume
- U.S. CMBS Named Special Servicing Volume
- U.S. Named Special Servicing Volumes Across All Investor Groups
- Total Non-U.S. Master and Primary Servicing Volume
A primary servicer collects loan payments from borrowers, performing property inspections and other property-related activities. A master servicer is usually responsible for collecting cash and data from primary servicers and then providing that cash and data, through trustees, to investors. The MBA tabulations that combine different roles do not double-count loans for which a single servicer performs multiple roles, unless otherwise noted.
More information from the report
Wells Fargo, PNC/Midland, Berkadia, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and KeyBank are the largest master and primary servicers of commercial/multifamily loans in U.S. CMBS, CDO and other ABS; PNC/Midland, MetLife, GEMSA Loan Services, Prudential Asset Resources, and Northwestern Mutual are the largest servicers for life companies; and PNC/Midland, Wells Fargo, Berkadia and Deutsche Bank Commercial Real are the largest Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac servicers.
PNC/Midland ranks as the top master and primary servicer of commercial bank and savings institution loans; GEMSA the top servicer of credit company, pension funds, REITs and investment funds loans; PNC/Midland the top FHA and Ginnie Mae loan servicer; Wells Fargo the top servicer for loans held in warehouse facilities; and Berkadia the top servicer for other investor type loans.
MBA also asked firms to provide information about loans on which they are the “named special servicer”—that is, where the firm stands ready to service the loan should special problems develop, such as delinquency. The leading named special servicers were LNR Partners, Inc., CWCapital LLC & CWCapital Asset Management and C-III Asset Management LLC.