Senior Housing Asset Exceeds Top Green Standards
- Jul 09, 2015
Cincinnati—Hayden House affordable senior apartments in Springfield, Ohio, raised the bar for green standards in its category.
The property earned LEED Platinum, Enterprise Green Communities and ENERGY STAR v3 certification. The 44-unit project, developed and built by The Woda Group and designed by PCI Design Group, was given energy efficiency and green building certification services by Sol design + consulting of Cincinnati.
LEED Platinum is the highest certification level of the US Green Building Council. Hayden House earned 90.5 points, surpassing its LEED Platinum requirements by 10 percent.
Enterprise Green Communities certification identifies green building strategy and implementation for affordable housing projects.
ENERGY STAR for Homes v3 sets strict standards for envelope performance. Lessening of air infiltration, duct sealing and HVAC system design, installation and testing. ENERGY STAR v3 certification verifies exceptional home energy performance.
Numerous notable green building features helped Hayden House achieve all three certifications:
- Hayden House was built on a former public elementary school site, in alignment with best green building practices and the Springfield City Commission Plan
- The development is in a residential neighborhood, close to grocery stores and other retail, restaurants and a park
- The apartments incorporate high-efficiency furnaces, air conditioners and water heaters
- The project uses ENERGY STAR windows, appliances and lighting
- Allergen-reducing MERV 13 HVAC air filters are installed in every unit
- All plumbing fixtures are very high efficiency water conserving models
- 91 percent of the site’s open space is designed for storm water infiltration
- Green Label Plus carpet, low VOC paints, sealants, and adhesives contribute to healthy indoor air quality for residents
- Open web trusses and 24 inch on center framing conserve lumber
- The project team diverted 68 percent of construction waste from landfills
The property exceeded lease up potential, reaching 100 percent occupancy in 30 days, months sooner than anticipated. Residents like the location and they enjoy an exercise center, computer room and dedicated indoor and outdoor areas for visiting grandchildren and others to play.