6 Reasons to Use Humane Pest Control Solutions
- Jan 06, 2016
As a landlord, you are responsible for insuring that your property is pest-free and a safe environment. And, as a businessperson, you also need to consider the costs associated with various pest control options. Yet even with all these considerations, most landlords still choose unsafe and more expensive pest control solutions for their properties.
These are just six reasons any landlord should opt for humane pest control resolutions to create a safe, welcoming environment around homes and commercial buildings alike.
- Safety: Traditional pest control poisons are extremely dangerous, especially to your tenants and their pets. Heaven forbid a resident’s child, for example, becomes contaminated by or sick from these harsh chemicals. With today’s advanced technology, many bugs can be eliminated by safer methods. Now there are ways to remove pests sonically, via sound waves, allowing you to keep your property bug free without risking the health and well-being of your residents and opening yourself up to any liabilities associated with unsafe chemicals on your properties.
- Time and money savings: Landlords who rent properties with recurring pest problems know that the costs quickly add up. One of the benefits to humane pest control options is that they are usually less costly and can last for years. Pigeon infestations, for example, may be treated with bird baiting processes, although these methods are less effective than prevention, and bring complications. These processes need to be repeated each month, which quickly becomes cost prohibitive. To save money and time, consider opting for more economical and humane electronic devices, spikes, or netting. Visual scares, like predatory hawk facsimiles, are also a good solution. These types of humane methods are exceptionally effective when used in combination with each other.
- Sanitary conditions: Few, if any, landlords or residents actually want to remove dead or dying animals from a property. And, if not addressed in a timely fashion, dead pests can start to stink up your property. A much more sanitary way to get rid of pests is to irritate them or scare them away by using humane methods rather than harsh chemicals to avoid infestation.
- Environmental concerns: You don’t have to be an environmentalist to see the value in not polluting the world—and your properties—with any toxic solutions. It’s simply healthier for everyone to employ non-chemical solutions to pest problems.
- Neighborhood animals: Even if you are not a pet enthusiast, you probably don’t want to harm any beloved pets your neighbors may have. When using traditional, non-humane forms of pest control, however, there is always a chance you may end up unintentionally harming other animals in your neighborhood. If, for example, you inadvertently killed a child’s pet cat you would probably not feel like a responsible landlord. Using humane methods of pest control will give you and your residents peace of mind, knowing they and their pets are living in a well-tended environment.
- Legal concerns: Perhaps the biggest reason landlords should employ dependable, humane methods of bird control are the legal repercussions. The Migratory Bird Control Act of 1918 heavily prevents the removal or destruction of certain birds, which includes not only nest removal, trapping, relocation, or harm, but also harm to raptors that prey on poisoned birds such as pigeons and may become intoxicated by consumption. Landlords may also face lawsuits by tenants if children or pets get into chemicals or traps, and new birds unaffected by other lethal methods are not in short supply—using non-lethal barriers to prevent birds from entering in the first place is the ideal solution.
You certainly don’t have to be an environmentalist to appreciate things like saving money and not harming residents or pets, and these are just a few of the many benefits to choosing humane methods of pest control for managing your rental properties.
Ellen Borza is the content developer for Bird-X, a brand of humane pest and bird control products worldwide. Established in 1964, the Chicago-based company manufactures a complete line of unique pest control products with an unmatched focus on quality, efficacy and customer service.