IREM and University of Alabama Collaborate to Advance Real Estate Management Education and Careers
Chicago—The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM®) and the University of Alabama (UA), founded in 1831 as Alabama’s first public college, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding. The document outlines a collaborative relationship to advance the real estate management profession through education and encourage interest in the profession as an attractive career opportunity.
IREM has long been committed to promoting real estate management careers and attracting a pool of new talent to the industry through academic outreach. UA’s Department of Economics, Finance, and Legal Studies, housed within the university’s Culverhouse College of Commerce, offers a Bachelor of Science in Finance with a Specialization in Real Estate. UA’s Manderson Graduate School of Business offers a Master of Science in Finance, with a specialization in Real Estate.
Under the terms of the MOU, IREM will:
- Recognize UA as a provider of real estate education on IREM’s website and in other promotional materials.
- Recognize UA’s BS and Master’s degrees with a Specialization in Real Estate as among those that fulfill specified educational requirements for IREM’s CERTIFIED PROPERTY MANAGER® (CPM®) designation.
- Provide UA with resource material to use in developing its real estate curriculum and materials about careers in real estate management for distribution to its students.
- Connect UA to IREM’s Alabama Chapter No. 43 for purposes of mutual collaboration.
For its part, UA will, among other initiatives:
- Recognize IREM as a principal provider of real estate management education and credentials.
- Utilize IREM® textbooks and resource material, as appropriate, to develop and deliver its real estate management curriculum.
- Make information about IREM’s Student Membership program available on the UA website.