Historic Germantown Church to Become Waldorf School’s New Home in Philadelphia
By Veronica Grecu, Associate Editor
Great news surfaced last week for the 140-year-old church located in Germantown at the corner of Wayne Avenue and Harvey Street. NewsWorks reported that the historic building was recently acquired for $435,000 by developer Ken Weinstein, who plans to renovate the church to become the new home of the independent Waldorf School of Philadelphia.
Built between 1873 and 1883 by architects Frank Furness and George Hewitt, St. Peter’s Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in September 1985. Twenty-five years later, the Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia added the Gothic stone structure to the city’s list of severely endangered sites.
The two-acre property at 6000 Wayne Avenue will reportedly require around $4 million in upgrades, especially for roof repairs, but the new owner hopes to offset those with historical-preservation tax credits. Renovation efforts will focus especially on energy-efficiency by reducing the building’s cooling and heating costs.
According to their website, the Waldorf School of Philadelphia—currently based in Mt. Airy—identified the potential home as early as 2009. Then, in 2011, the school’s board met with local developer Ken Weinstein, who agreed to renovate the property according to the school’s needs. The Waldorf School of Philadelphia plans to relocate to the new home in September 2014, when the renovation project is expected to be completed
Image credits to author Smallbones on WikipediaTags: Acquisitions/Dispositions, Architecture/Design, Commercial, Developers, Development, Education, Finance/Investment, Germantown, historic building, Investors, Ken Weinstein, Local, Maintenance, National, Philadelphia Lead Story, Professional, Regional, Waldorf School of Philadelphia